What is the origin of the last name Drew?
The last name Drew has its origins in England, specifically derived from the medieval personal name "Andrew," which was itself derived from the Greek name "Andreas." The name "Andrew" was popularized by Saint Andrew, one of the twelve apostles of Jesus in Christianity. Over time, the name Andrew evolved into various forms and spellings, including Dreu, Drewe, and eventually Drew. The last name Drew signifies a patronymic surname denoting descent from an ancestor named Andrew and is believed to have been in use since the Middle Ages.
Countries of origin for the last name Drew
Interesting facts about the last name Drew
- The surname Drew has English origins and is derived from the medieval male given name “Drew” or “Drewe,” which itself originated from the Greek name “Andreas” meaning “manly” or “brave.”
- The name Drew has been found in various forms throughout history, including Drea, Drui, Drow, Druce, Druitt, and Drury.
- One possible origin of the surname Drew is from the medieval occupation of a “drew” or “drover,” which referred to someone who herded or drove cattle.
- The Drew surname can be found in several countries, including England, Scotland, Ireland, and the United States, among others.
- Notable individuals with the surname Drew include famous actors and actresses, such as Daniel Day-Lewis, Barrymore Drew, and Drew Barrymore.
- The Drew family name has been associated with various achievements and contributions in different fields, including literature, art, politics, and sports.
- Genealogical research has revealed that the surname Drew has numerous branches and variations, making it a fascinating subject for family history enthusiasts.
- Throughout history, the Drew surname has been traced back to medieval times, and its evolution and migration can provide insights into the movement and settlement of people across different regions.
- In some cases, the surname Drew may have been anglicized from other surnames of different origins, such as the German surname Dreher or the Italian surname Druvi.
- The surname Drew continues to be used today, representing a diverse and widespread group of individuals who carry on the name’s legacy.