What is the origin of the last name Kline?
Countries of origin for the last name Kline
The last name Kline is of German origin and is a variant spelling of the surname Klein. The name Klein comes from the Middle High German word “klein” which means “small” or “little.” It is a descriptive occupational surname that was often given to someone of small stature or a person who held a position of importance, such as a village headman or a guild master.
The surname Kline has its roots in medieval Germany and can be traced back to the 14th century. During this time period, surnames were becoming more common and were often based on a person’s occupation, physical characteristics, or a combination of both.
Kline is a fairly common surname in the United States, with a significant number of individuals bearing this name. It is particularly prevalent in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Indiana, which were areas of high German immigration in the 18th and 19th centuries.
One notable individual with the surname Kline is Kevin Kline, a well-known American actor who has won numerous awards for his performances in both theater and film. His success in the entertainment industry has helped to bring awareness to the surname Kline.
Researching the etymology and genealogy of the name Kline can uncover fascinating insights into the lives and histories of individuals who bear this surname. Exploring family records, historical documents, and conducting DNA tests can provide a deeper understanding of the origins and connections of those with the last name Kline.
While the available information about the last name Kline provides a solid foundation, there may be further discoveries and connections to be made in the future. As with any surname, the study of Kline’s history is an ongoing process that offers the potential for new revelations and insights into the lives and legacies of individuals who carry this name.
Interesting facts about the last name Kline
- The surname Kline is of German origin.
- It is derived from the Middle High German word “kline,” which means “small” or “humble.”
- The name Kline is often used as a variant spelling of the surname Klein, which has the same meaning.
- Kline is a relatively uncommon surname, ranking as the 2,730th most common surname in the United States.
- Notable individuals with the surname Kline include Kevin Kline, an Academy Award-winning American actor, and Barney Kline, an American professional basketball player.
- Kline is also a Jewish surname, with Jewish immigrants often adopting the name upon arrival in the United States.